Teenage Bloggers
I find it very interesting that male and female bloggers are so similar. I would've assumed that there would be many very noticeable differences, which there weren't. The biggest thing that surprised me about this study was that these teenage bloggers are basically being themselves. I remember when I was young and chatting online, I would pretend to be everybody and anybody besides myself. I was a little bit scared to give out truthful information to the people on the other side of the screen. Having the internet in your home wasn't always a common thing to have back then, so there was still that fear of giving out too much information. It was just something I played around on. Now, the internet has turned into something that almost all children grow up with, and I think they feel that there isn't as much to fear if they give out this information. It's just a way of life for them now. It makes me wonder what this study may have looked like when I was a teenager. Would it have been completely different?

2 Comments:
Yes, but teenagers never think that bad things can happen to them. They don't think smoking will harm them, or drinking and driving, and things like that. I wonder if it's that feeling of invincibility that also influences how they perceive (or don't) Internet danger.
March 3, 2005 at 9:29 AM
Lori hits on an important point. Kids just seem to think think they are invincible, that bad things won't happen to them. That is what my daughter an all her friends thought last Thanksgiving, before two of their good friends were killed accidentally three weeks apart. They had to grow up very quickly and recognize that no one is immune to harm, emotional or physical.
March 7, 2005 at 4:20 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home